- 1½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut fresh grated
- 1½ tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp urad dal or skinned black gram (optional)
- ½ tsp chana dal or bengal gram
- 2 tbsp peanuts or cashews as needed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¾ tsp ginger grated or chopped
- 2 green chilies – slit of chopped
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or as needed
- 2 to 4 cup coriander leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida or hing
HOW TO MAKE THE RECIPE
Rinse rolled oats and drain them in a colander.
Gently fluff up immediately and set aside.
Heat a pan with oil.
Add mustard, cumin , urad dal, chana dal and peanuts.
Fry them until the peanuts are golden.
Then add in hing, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves.
Saute them quickly until the curry leaves turn crisp.
Then pour 2 tbsp water. This will soften the dals slightly.
Add turmeric and salt.
Then add in oats. Gently give a good stir.
On a very low heat cook covered until the oats turn slightly hot. This only takes about 1 to 2 mins.
Turn off the heat. Add coconut and coriander leaves.
Mix well and check salt. If needed add more and sprinkle lemon juice over the salt.
Mix well and serve coconut oats with pickle or yogurt.